The Project Begins

I did it! I went to an SCA meeting, called a moot in my shire. I spoke with a couple of the members, and got an idea of what it's like to be a member of the SCA. This was a couple weeks ago, but it's been on my mind.

I went with a couple of my friends who are interested in joining the SCA with me, and I had a great time! When we arrived, we arrived a bit earlier than the person with the keys to the hall we were meeting in, so we sat in the car for a minute. My excitement only grew as the minutes passed. When we finally gained entry to the hall, it was after meeting a delightful couple who made me feel very welcome. One of the ladies was the Marshal of Archery who had monitored as I practiced archery the week before. The other was her wife! I was so pleasantly surprised to have found so immediately an LGBTQ presence in this chapter of the SCA.

Once we entered the hall, my friends and I looked through the buckets of loaner garb and tried to find things that fit us and that we felt would look good. One of my friends found a gown that worked beautifully and that I hope to help recreate. My other friend and I didn't find as much that worked as well for us. It really rekindled my desire to sew my own garb and to get started! Now that I have my dressform, the next step was picking a pattern.

I searched through Butterick and Simplicity patterns, as well as looking for vintage patterns online. I eventually settled on a pattern from the Etsy store Patterns of Time. I found these two patterns, which were for a slightly earlier time frame than I had initially intended, but will be good for starter garb.







It is my intent to begin with a mock up of the kirtle in a green fabric that I already have on hand. It's not linen or wool, and I'm not even sure it's a natural fabric, but it's what I've got and don't mind if the whole thing goes terrible wrong.

As for my tools, I recently was given a new craft table and a new sewing machine! Ember gave them to me for Christmas, so I'll really be able to get working on these projects much more quickly than I'd have been able to before. I'd like to say that I'll be working on everything by hand, but sadly I don't know that I can promise that. My schedule has been filling up for the next few months and I have SCA events that I'd like to wear garb to! I'm ready to begin, as soon as we return from our holiday vacation. It's time to get sewing!

Comments