Finishing the Undergown, and Beginning the Surcote

So the undergown is pretty much done, except for a few eyelets. It is wonky and less than perfect and I am incredibly proud of it. It was sewn to my exact measurements, and fits very closely, but I can still move in it pretty well.

The process went thusly:

First was to set up my new sewing machine, a gift from Ember, my honey. He got it for me for Christmas, and I was thrilled about it! I looked up a couple Youtube videos and got it going, with some trial and error. The first seams went quickly, and evenly, to my great surprise and satisfaction. I am used to struggling with older sewing machines that never quite work right, and make lovely, snarled bobbin art every 3 inches, if that. This process has been much smoother and much simpler.

Next, after all the base seams were finished, I tried it on my actual body. It was far too large! Apparently my dressform is a bit too big, and doesn't represent my body well anymore. I had to take in the dress in several places. In this process of taking in, I guess I wasn't careful enough to take in evenly from each panel, and one of the right side panel seams began to curve across the left side of my body, from my perspective. More taking in, more pinning, more fitting.

Time: 5 hours, 45 minutes

The pattern itself had a back closure, but I knew that I would be getting in and out of this rig by myself and with little help, so I sewed up the back seam and cut a new closure in the center front. Again, I need to learn to measure twice and cut/sew once, and cut it a little wonky.

Finally, everything fit relatively well. Still had some pooching in the sleeve, which I fixed, which means I have two sleeves of different lengths. I'll have to hem the other to match.

I began sewing bias tape to the edges to clean it up, and the process of putting in the eyelets. Man am I TERRIBLE at sewing eyelets. First of all, the eyelet holes are too big! I didn't have an awl, so I used my seam ripper, and I kept ripping through the edges and the seams. The eyelets are a hot mess, and I will definitely be getting an awl before I ever attempt such a thing again.

Total time:  6 hours, 20 minutes

It's in pretty decent, if wonky, condition, though, and I moved right on into pinning and cutting out the surcote from this pattern.

Time: 30 minutes

I sewed a couple quick seams and fitted it to see what areas need to be addressed, and that's where we're leaving it for now!

Time:  1 hour
Total time: 7 hours 20 minutes

Comments